Make the crispiest air fryer chicken thighs made with a delicious chicken seasoning. These pair perfectly with any dinner side and are ready in no time!
Favorite Air Fryer Chicken Thigh Recipe!
Looking for a super simple dinner idea that’s tender on the inside and nice and crispy on the outside? Look no further than air fryer chicken thighs.
We are huge fans of chicken thighs in general at Fit Foodie Finds because a little bit of dark meat can do the soul good. Chicken thighs typically come out so much juicier than chicken breasts and they really are tasty.
Why Make This Recipe
So Crispy: Make the crispiest chicken thighs you’ve ever had without sacrificing and the juiciness of the meat.
7 Ingredients: you only need 7 ingredients to make this delicious meal.
Ready in 30 minutes: have perfectly cooked thighs ready in 30 minutes!
What You Need
Chicken thighs (bone-in): for this recipe, we’re using bone-in thighs. We love how juicy the insides come out with bone-in thighs. Feel free to use boneless skinless chicken thighs if that is your jam. We recommend lowering the cooking time by a few minutes on each side to prevent over-cooking.
Olive oil: olive oil is used to make sure these chicken thighs come out nice and crispy. Feel free to swap for a different oil.
Spices: the spice combination in this recipe is so delicious. We’re using salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, and brown sugar.
chicken seasoning ideas!
If you have any of our homemade seasonings on hand, feel free to use around 1-2 tablespoons in place of the listed spices.
Top Tips for Perfectly Air Fryer Crispy Chicken Thighs
Pat the chicken dry
Removing as much moisture as possible from the chicken thighs is important. This will really help them crisp up nicely in the air fryer.
Don’t skip the oil
Ultimately oil helps make the skin on your chicken thighs very crispy. Don’t skip it!
Make sure to flip
By flipping your chicken thighs after 10 minutes, you’ll ensure that both sides get nice and browned and that it cooks evenly.
Use a dry rub over a marinade
While you can make air fryer chicken thighs with a marinade, using a dry rub is going to make sure the outsides get nice and crisp.
How long to cook chicken thighs in air fryer?
Cook chicken thighs in air fryer for 20 minutes at 400ºF, flipping halfway through.
Can I use boneless chicken thighs in the air fryer?
Yes! You can absolutely use boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. We recommend lowering cook time to 16-18 minutes, depending on how thick your chicken thighs are.
Can I marinate my thighs instead?
Marinated chicken thighs in the air fryer are delicious and can absolutely be done instead of a dry rub. Just note that they likely will not come out with a super crispy skin due to the added moisture.
How do I know when my chicken thighs are fully cooked?
The best way to know if your chicken thighs are fully cooked is to use a meat thermometer. Make sure that the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken is 165ºF.
Complete your meal with some of our favorite easy side dishes.
Once your chicken thighs have cooled, transfer them into an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-5 days.
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, ~2 lbs.
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF and spray the inside of the basket with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the garlic powder, paprika, dried thyme, salt, and brown sugar to a bowl and mix until combined.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with a piece of paper towel and sprinkle the dry rub over the chicken thighs. Be sure the dry rub covers the entire chicken thigh.
- Place the chicken thighs skin side down into the air fryer and drizzle the chicken thighs with olive oil. You may have to do this in two batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Set the air fryer for 10 minutes, flip the chicken thighs, and cook the chicken thighs for an additional 10 minutes.
- If the internal temperature of the chicken is 165ºF and the skin is crispy, remove the chicken thighs from the air fryer. If you would like your chicken thighs crispier, cook them for an additional 2 minutes. Let the chicken sit for 3-5 minutes and enjoy.
Serving Size: 1/4
Keywords: air fryer chicken thighs
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Erin from The Wooden Skillet.